Turn a note book, journal or diary into something wonderful with a fabric book cover. Personalise for yourself or make gifts with this easy tutorial.
What you'll need:
- Fabrics - In this tutorial we are using 3 fabric prints but you can use just 1 or 2 designs.
- Matching thread
- Fabric scissors
- Book to cover (hardback works really well)
Making your own sewing pattern is easy: Just take the book you wish to cover, measure around it and add 1" inch to the total height and 1" inch to the total width. This will give you the main cover pattern inc 1cm seam allowances. You also need to make a pattern for the pocket pieces which is the same height as your main pattern and a width of 10cm. All these pieces will need to be cut on the fold (cutting 2 layers with one edge folded so that the piece is double the size when opened out).
1cm seam allowance is included in this method.
If you are covering an A5 book download our PATTERN HERE.
Here's how to make:
Cutting out (be aware of pattern direction if you are using printed fabrics) cut the following:
- 1 outer main on the fold
- 1 lining main on the fold
- 1 main wadding OR interfacing layer (optional)
- 2 pocket pieces on the fold
Taking your 2 pocket pieces, PRESS them in half length ways along the center fold with pattern/wrong sides together.
Lay all your fabric pieces in the following order and pin ready to sew (not forgetting any additional trims you wish to add).
- Lay your lining piece down first right side/pattern facing up.
- Lay both pocket pieces on top to the outside edges with the fold facing inwards.
- Lay your outer fabric on top right side/pattern face down
- If using a wadding layer add this now (optional)
SEW all the way around your cover using a 1cm seam allowance Note: Leave a 5cm gap at the bottom edge (backstitch to secure ends).
Cut excess fabric from each corner and turn your book cover through the hole you left open.
POKE out corners carefully to create as much point as possible. PRESS your book cover and roll seams out to neaten and flatten.
TOP STITCH 0.3cm away from the edge all around your book cover to finish off and close the gap at the bottom edge.
Carefully insert your latest note book into its new home and you're done!
If you love these fabrics find them in our SHOP
Happy making! Share your book covers with us on Facebook